Wild Alaskan Miso Black Cod, Green Shiso Tempura, Dashi Sushi Rice & Saki Marinaded Eikura by Masterchef: The Professionals finalist Philli Armitage-Mattin
“The inspiration for the dish came from my travels in Japan where I ate miso marinated cod on Hakuba mountain. I learnt to cook on a Konro grill in a restaurant in Hong Kong called Haku where I worked for three months. Black cod is has a lovely meaty texture and lends itself well to marination – It is great to know I can source this product and it comes beautifully portioned”
• 4 Wild Alaskan black cod fillets
• 200ml sake
• 200g mirin
• 200g white miso paste
• 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 100g plain flour
• 75ml of chilled sparkling water
• Shiso leaves
• Tempura batter
• Pink pickled ginger
• Sushi rice
• Sushi seasoning
• Wild Alaskan Keta Caviar
1. Boil the sake and mirin for 2 mins then take off the heat and whisk in the miso and sugar. Chill before marinating the fish.
2. Allow to marinate for 1-2 days prior to cooking.
3. Cook over the konro grill for 10 mins using a sake spray or heat a pan and add a splash of oil cook skin side up for 2 mins flip and cook for a further 2 mins. Pop in the oven for a further 5 mins depending on the size of the fish.
4. Wash and cook the sushi rice, season with sushi seasoning.
5. Wash ikura and marinade in sake.
6. Make a tempura batter and fry at 180°c until crisp.
7. Plate up.
1. 100g plain flour and pinch of salt sieved into a bowl.
2. Add 75ml of chilled sparkling water.
3. Whisk together until dissolved, being careful not to over-whisk.
4. Add crushed ice to chill and achieve desired consistency – To loosely coat the back of a spoon.
Serve with tempura shiso leaves, pickled ginger. Cooked and seasoned sushi rice and ikura (salmon eggs) washed in sake.