Browns Hotel is a lovingly-restored 17th century coaching inn set in the heart of the beautiful Dartmoor town of Tavistock.
We are now seeking a Sous Chef to join our talented team.
Browns Hotel, a 21 bed hotel offers award-winning 2 AA Rossette cuisine, an elegant, informal wine-bar and brasserie, relaxing lounge areas with log fires, and exceptional, individually-appointed rooms.
The joint team – twice winners of the South West Chef of the Year award – have a real passion and flair for producing fine dishes which balance tradition and innovation.
The restaurants offer fine dining and easy dining menus, which take advantage of a wealth of high quality, seasonal ingredients sourced from Devon’s many small-scale high end producers.
Tavistock is a thriving town, busy with markets and small shops selling local produce, arts and crafts and curios, rich in history and heritage, and set against the wild backdrop of Dartmoor National Park. It sits within easy reach of Devon’s two major cities, Plymouth and Exeter, and Cornwall’s beautiful coast and countryside.
We’re looking for a highly energetic, committed and talented Sous Chef who shows real skill, flair, and confidence; someone with a genuine passion for fine dining; someone who’s calm under pressure and unflappable; someone with great abilities as a people manager; someone who can make a significant contribution to managing the kitchen so it meets key business objectives and financial targets.
You’ll need to be able to lead by example in ensuring that all statutory health and safety requirements are adhered to; you’ll need to inspire, motivate, manage and foster the professional development of a brigade of 5, reporting to the Head Chef; you’ll be involved in menu development, budget setting, and cost control; you’ll be expected to create and implement new systems within the kitchen to increase efficiency, productivity and profitability.
It’s a challenging brief, a responsible role, and one which presents a key opportunity for anyone wishing to develop a career in fine dining.
See below for full Job Description:
The Sous Chef will be required to:
- Lead by example and implement all procedures (SSOW,HACCP, Health and Safety, COSHH and Food Safety Management) to the required standards to which training has been received reporting to the Head Chef
- Ensure productivity and complete organisation within the kitchen.
- Promote positive behavior within the team.
- Communicate effectively within the kitchen and other departments.
- Create new dishes and evolve the menu.
- Control kitchen costs to agreed set budgets as set by the Head Chef.
- Work to meet the kitchen and business objectives
- Work calmly under pressure showing alertness, vigilance and initiative
- Encourage and develop individual skills whilst contributing to any training needs in the kitchen.
- Accurately record working hours
- Be proactive in self development and development of all members of the kitchen brigade.
- Assist with maintaining the IIP standards within the hotel.
- Comply with all Company Policies and legal requirements with special reference to Health and Safety.
- All statutory training; Company Induction, Kitchen Induction, SSOW, COSHH, Fire Training and Manual Handling.
- Advanced Food Hygiene
Basic Rate of Pay: Dependent on Experience – £19,000 – £22,000
Annual Holiday: 28 Days – this is inclusive of all UK Public Holidays
Accommodation options available
Please email your CV to Helena.King@evisiongroup.com