South West Chef of the Year Announcement
The first round of the South West Chef of the Year competition, staged by Taste of the West and Michael Caines and sponsored by 3663, took place on Saturday 20th October at Exeter College.
The semi-finals of the Professional class and the Young Professional class, along with the final of the South West Home Cook class, were hotly contested under the watchful eyes of a judging panel made up of some of the finest chefs in the South West: Michael Caines, Chris and James Tanner, Paul Ainsworth, Darrin Hosegrove, Neil Haydock and Matthew Mason.
Now in its ninth year, the judges commented on how the standard of the competition continues to rise each year. James Tanner said “the dishes presented to us were outstanding, their eye-catching presentation matched in equal measure by incredible flavour. We are very fortunate to have such talented chefs in the South West.”
John Sheaves, Chief Executive, Taste of the West said “This is the only South West regional competition allowing the region’s professional chefs and home cooks to shine. With the opportunity to demonstrate their talents for our panel of judges, a rare gathering of the finest chefs in the South West, the work of the contestants is made easier with the extensive availability of regionally produced ingredients of the highest quality.”
After much deliberation, the challenge of judging was complete and the judges selected three chefs in each of the two professional classes to return to Exeter College for the final on Monday 29th October, as follows:
- Jordan Bailey, Chef de Partie, The Elephant Restaurant, Torquay
- Tom Scade, Head Chef, Tides Restaurant, Mariner’s Rock, Rock, Cornwall
- Michael Tweedie, Junior Sous Chef, Lucknam Park, Bath
The other semi-finalists in the professional class were:
- Lee Groves, Head Chef, Seagrass Restaurant, St Ives
- Brett Sutton, Head Chef, The Eastbury Hotel, Sherborne, Dorset
- Dez Turland, Group Development Chef, Brend Hotels, Saunton Sands Hotel, Braunton, Devon
Young Professional class
Sponsored by Exeter College
- Harriet Pecover, Head Pastry Chef, The Jack in the Green, Rockbeare, Devon
- Camilla Waite, Chef de Partie, The Seafood Restaurant, Padstow, Cornwall
- Elly Wentworth, Demi Chef de Partie, Manor House Hotel, Castle Combe, Wiltshire
The other semi-finalists in the Young Professional class were:
- Daniel Kavanagh, Sous Chef, Rodean Restaurant, Kenton, Devon
- Ben Reid, Commis Chef, The Harrow at Little Bedwyn, Wiltshire
- Richard Townsend, Chef de Partie, The Eastbury Hotel, Sherborne, Dorset
At the final, competitors will be presented with a mystery box of ingredients with which to prepare a two course meal in an allotted time – a real challenge and true test of their skills!
Awards Presentation Dinner
Following the final of the two professional classes on 29th October, the winners all three classes will be announced at the South West Chef presentation dinner to be held on the evening of Monday 29th October at ABode Exeter, hosted by Michael Caines and Taste of the West. Tickets are available for the dinner from Taste of the West on 01404 822012 and more information can be found at www.southwestchef.co.uk
Visit www.southwestchef.co.uk for further details.
Follow us in Twitter @SWChefComp