Roux Scholarship 2022: Entries Open as the Roux Family Set the Recipe Challenge
Just two weeks after the conclusion of the 2020/21 competition, in which Oli Williamson was crowned a new Roux Scholar, the Roux Family is delighted to launch the 2022 competition. With a challenge that will test chefs’ creativity as much as their skills, Alain Roux and Michel Roux Jr have set out the ingredients for chefs’ applications: two fresh Dover soles weighing anywhere between 600g-700g (maximum 800g) cooked and served either whole, or in fillets and 300g whole brown shrimps with shells on; together plated with two ‘simple’ or ‘composed’ garnishes/accompaniments. One of them must include homemade pasta made on the day of the competition. The other is to be a garnish/accompaniment of their choice. One of these can be served separately if preferred. A sauce must accompany the dish.
Chairman Alain Roux said: “The beauty of these superb ingredients is their simplicity: Dover sole is at its best in spring when the dishes will be prepared. It will be fascinating to see how our chefs deal with offering tasty, interesting dishes while not over-complicating the delicate fresh flavours. In particular, I am excited to see what shape of pasta the chefs will choose. I’m really looking forward to some inspired cooking.”
Chairman Michel Roux said: “No sooner the competition is over and the next one begins. Dover sole, shrimps and pasta: so much scope for flair and imagination, I can’t wait to see what our chefs come up with. I know what I would do but what will the 2022 scholar create?”
Vice-chairman Brian Turner said: “Dover sole and brown shrimps are such iconic British products. I am really excited to see what our potential scholars do with their recipes. I do hope the dish will be simple, elegant and full of flavour. Good luck to all!”
- Two and a half hours’ cooking time is allocated at the Regional Final for cooking the dish, as the recipe originally submitted as well as a dessert to serve four people made from a ‘mystery box’ of ingredients given on the day.
- Contestants must provide their recipe with a full and accurate list of quantities and cost of all ingredients used, omitting the two fresh Dover soles and whole brown shrimps with shells on. The cost of the Dover soles will be of £25.00 per kg and the shrimps £10.00 per 100g. Both will be provided by the college to regional finalists. The full total costing of the dish, excluding the two fresh Dover soles and whole brown shrimps, should not exceed £14.00 per portion.
- Entrants are not allowed to use or bring any pre-prepared stock or sauce whatsoever for the fish, vegetable or garnish / accompaniment dishes and none will be provided.
- The use of caviar, truffles or foie gras is not permitted.
- The judges will look favourably at efficient use of waste and leftover ingredients during the course of chefs’ preparation.
- Entrants have until midnight on Monday 31st January 2022 to submit their recipes via the online application system.
What is new for 2022?
As the Roux Scholarship resumes its normal schedule after the postponement of the 2020/21 competition, there have been some changes to the application system and the rules.
- As the first step of the application, chefs must register their entry via the website. If they meet the application criteria (eg. age, UK resident, correct qualifications), they will be sent the invitation to complete online the recipe application form. They will also be invited to complete the Equality and Diversity Monitoring form.
- For the 2022 competition only, and to compensate for the time lost due to the coronavirus pandemic, the age limit will be 31. Therefore, if a chef turns 31 on or after the 1st February 2022, they qualify to enter.
- In order to be more inclusive of those chefs with family or caring responsibilities, applicants to the Roux Scholarship no longer need to be working full-time. So long as their principal employment is as a professional chef, they qualify for entry.
- The Roux Scholarship is delighted to welcome three new sponsors: Wellocks, Urbani Truffles UK Ltd and Flying Fish Seafoods.
- The 2022 competition will be the second time the Mentorship Award is offered as a prize. As well as the £6,000 awarded to the winner for their career development, an additional £6,000 is awarded to them on completion of 15 months’ service with their current employer after they win. Should they take up a new role in that time, the funds will be awarded to the original employer to help in the development of the remaining brigade.
The judging panel will remain the same for the 2022 competition and is as follows: Alain Roux, Michel Roux Jr, Brian Turner CBE, Sat Bains (Scholar 1999), André Garrett (Scholar 2002), Simon Hulstone (Scholar 2003), James Martin, Clare Smyth MBE, Rachel Humphrey and Angela Hartnett MBE. The Honorary President of Judges will be announced in due course.
31st January 2022: Deadline for applications.
24th March 2022: Regional finalists compete, each cooking their written recipe plus a mystery basket dessert recipe challenge. Regional finals take place at University College Birmingham and University of West London. Six national finalists shortlisted.
11the April 2022: National Final at Westminster Kingsway College, London. Award ceremony at The Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London.
The winner receives up to £12,000, to support their career development and an invitation to cook and train under the supervision of a leading chef at a prestigious three-star Michelin restaurant anywhere in the world for up to three months. This is in addition to a host of fabulous prizes from our sponsors.
The Roux Scholarship is sponsored by a number of companies, whose support is vital: Aubrey Allen, Bridor, Flying Fish Seafoods, Global Knives, Hildon Natural Mineral Water, Champagne Laurent-Perrier, L’Unico Caffe Musetti, Oritain, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Restaurant Associates, TRUEfoods, Udale Speciality Foods, Urbani Truffles UK Ltd and Wellocks.
Go to www.rouxscholarship.co.uk for more information about the Roux Scholarship competition and details of the long list of prizes, courtesy of our sponsors and preferred partners.