10 Years to Hit the Top
Sexy Fish Group Executive Pastry chef Mohan Boddula left West London College in 2013 after completing a postgraduate course in pastry. 10 years later he’s travelling the world teaching pastry at all the Sexy Fish restaurants as well as designing all the desserts on the various menus. On top of that Mohan is joining the judging panel for this years Student Pastry Chef of the Year competition.
The Chefs’ Forum recently visited Sexy Fish in Mayfair to meet Chefs Mohan and Mattia Ricci (Head Chef) to meet the team and sample the wonderful menu.
Following lunch at Sexy Fish in Mayfair Chefs’ Forum Director Catherine Farinha caught up with Mohan. She said:
“Mohan is such a great example of a chef who has come through the college system. He has applied himself and reached the top of the tree. We couldn’t be happier for him. It just goes to show what a college education can do. At The Chefs’ Forum our academies work with restaurant groups and hotels to showcase the best careers and job opportunities for young chefs.”
Head of Curriculum at West London College, Denise Charles, who was also present for the lunch at Sexy Fish, said:
“Mohan did a postgraduate course with us and his lecturer, Yvan, is still teaching today. It’s a great course and we’re so proud of Mohan.”
“We’re thrilled Mohan is joining the judging panel of the Student Pastry Chef of the Year,” Catherine Farinha concluded. “All his desserts were amazing!”
“It was also amazing to meet Mattia and invite him to join our wonderful brigade of guest chef lecturers who regularly teach at the college as part of The Chefs’ Forum Academy, now in its fifth year, designed to bridge the gap between education and industry and introduce our student to high profile employers.”
What was on the menu at Sexy Fish?
Here are Mattia’s dishes:
- Eringi Mushroom Tempura with truffle sour cream
- Kombu cured Tuna Belly (Ham) with squid ink cracker and mustard
- Gillardeau Oysters with smoked chili sauce
- Lobster tempura, smoked Maryrose and green tea salt
- Wagyu beef and foie gras gyoza, ume, wafu dressing and black truffle
- Scallop Carpaccio with Caviar and gold leaves
- Sushi platter (o toro sashimi, uni gunkan, wagyu gunkan and truffle, scallop roll with caviar)
- Chilean sea bass with ramson miso, pickled cauliflower and truffle
- Grilled asparagus with smoked creamy dashi and bonito flakes
- Wagyu sirloin, smoked kimchi and Nikka whiskey hollandaise
- King crab, bone marrow and truffle
For more information on Mattia, check out this week’s Chef of the Week feature – CLICK HERE – and follow his progress as he prepares to enrich the learning of students at West London College in teaching in The Chefs’ Forum Academy.
The Sexy Fish desserts that were on display:
- Sea Shell Tart (yuzu curd, yogurt sorbet, lemon drizzle cake and Sobacha crumble, sea shell made from Opalys Valrhona)
- Vanilla Cheesecake (strawberry calamansi sorbet, cream cheese ice cream, milk crumb and red rose petals dusted with cold)
- Selection of ice cream and sorbet (coconut lemongrass, bubble gum, jasmine and honey)
- Cinnamon doughnuts (exotic fruit curd & chocolate sauce)
- Sexy Chocolate Pot (which is vegan and gluten free, contains chocolate mousse made from Amatika 46% vegan chocolate, pecan praline, banana bread crisps, banana sorbet and coconut caramel served on the side in sea shell)