The highly acclaimed 1 AA rosette Chequers in Bath is looking to recruit a Sous Chef to join our creative and ambitious kitchen.
The successful candidate will join a passionate and professional kitchen at an exciting time; we have just finished work on a brand new open kitchen, and are currently refurbishing our dining room and looking to build on our growing reputation by achieving national recognition.
This position also offers a unique opportunity to work alongside culinary rising star, Head Chef Leigh Evans who was recently awarded a coveted 2013 Acorn Award.
The successful candidate will be passionate about food, ambitious to progress their career and be an enthusiastic team member.
You’ll be working with high quality regional produce and suppliers and need to be able to help deliver menus that take advantage of this. Our restaurant and kitchen are both busy, so you’ll also need to be able to handle large numbers and busy services.
The Chequers is owned by The Bath Pub Company, an independent company operating 3 premium gastropubs in Bath. Our pubs are all about great food, fantastic service and a friendly pub atmosphere.
We’re also passionate about building a great company that people love to work for and plan to add new pubs to our group in time. We look to promote internally wherever possible so there’s plenty of opportunities for future progression. Our staff development policy is to help all our staff realise their potential – and we actively seek opportunities for them to do so.
We have won many awards and accolades for the pubs: Best Gastropub, 2AA rosette and two 1 AA rosette ratings, a inclusions in this year’s Michelin guide, a ranking of 38th best Gastropub in the UK (Morning Advertiser 2013), 3rd best Gastropub in the UK (Tripadvisor 2012).
Salary & benefits:
- Total annual salary of c£27,000 (comprising £22,000 salary plus tips c£5k)
- Staff Discounts Package
- Branded chef whites provided
- Opportunities to complete further NVQ Training available
- 28 Days Holiday
- On the job coaching and mentoring
Tasks and responsibilities
- Ensure the smooth running of all aspects of the kitchen operation whenever the Head Chef is absent.
- Ensure that all dishes are prepared and presented in accordance with the Head Chef’s directions.
- Assist with the development of an inspiring menu by bringing ideas to the kitchen for possible new dishes.
- Help develop junior members of staff by leading by example in all aspects of running service and the kitchen
- Minimise wastage through proper stock control and menu development
- Ensure that all EHO documentation is correctly recorded and collated
- Develop pricing levels for all dishes through consultation with the Head Chef and via accurate calculation of dish gross profit margins
- Ensure all delivery notes and invoices are processed correctly, and emails and other correspondence are dealt with professionally and promptly.
Skills and experience
- Proven experience working in a busy kitchen with a quality gastro pub food offering.
- A strong team ethic – able to develop, inspire and motivate a large brigade of chefs.
- Strong menu writing ability, sourcing suppliers and negotiating prices.
- Able to embrace & drive change as dictated by customer & business needs.
- Demonstrate high standards of professionalism & passion.
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered.