To support senior kitchen management in the overall running of the department. Check all hygiene records are up to date. Be involved with menu planning, ordering and training of kitchen associates. Make sure all food leaving the kitchen is of the high standard expected from the executive chef. Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report maintenance needs, accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; complete safety training and certifications.
Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets. Speak with others using clear and professional language. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; support team to reach common goals; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees.
Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by kitchen and F&B leaders.
Safety and Security
▪ Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
▪ Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
▪ Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and machines.
▪ Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
▪ Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
▪ Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
▪ Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
Policies and Procedures
▪ Follow company and department policies and procedures.
▪ Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
▪ Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
▪ Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
▪ Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Excecutive Chef, and/or Senior Sous Chef
▪ Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
▪ Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
▪ Good communication and teamwork to assist other chefs on different sections
Working with Others
▪ Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
▪ Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
▪ Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
▪ Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
▪ Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
▪ Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
▪ Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
▪ Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines.
▪ Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing a hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
▪ Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labeling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
▪ Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
▪ Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
▪ Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
▪ Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers to prepare foods.
▪ Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management.
▪ Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (i.e., management or maintenance).
▪ Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programs within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local, state, and federal regulations.
Sanitation and Maintenance
▪ Wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, tools, knives, and equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and meet the departmental standards, including using sanitizers required by health department.
▪ Set-up and break down work station with required mise en place, tools, equipment and supplies, ensuring items are to established specs, ensuring adequate fill of containers, storing items appropriately, and cleaning station as appropriate.
▪ Follow and ensure compliance with sanitation and cleaning procedures and pest control guidelines, reporting pest control issues to appropriate personnel.
▪ Disassemble and assemble kitchen equipment following safety procedures when cleaning.
Kitchen Tools & Equipment
▪ Use kitchen tools safely and appropriately, including using appropriate tools to open cartons, boxes, and cans; keeping knives sharpened; using proper knife handling procedures; using correct knives for particular food item or specific task; using dry pads when moving hot material; and engaging all appropriate safety devices prior to operating equipment.
▪ Use measuring tools (for example, scale, measuring cups, measuring spoons) to precisely measure ingredients and portion sizes.
▪ Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist, establishing priority items.
▪ Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use.
▪ Wash and peel (if required) fresh fruits and vegetables to prepare them for cooking or consumption.
▪ Test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
▪ Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
▪ Monitor food quality while preparing food and throughout the day utilizing the HACCP forms and production charts.
▪ Prepare cold foods, including preparing salads, cold sandwiches, condiments, and dressings.
▪ Understanding of food wastage and the effects on food cost and revenues
▪ Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served to waiters or patrons, according to standards.
▪ Breakdown work station and return and label back-up items according to proper food handling procedures.
• Previous experience working within a Kitchen or similar environment preferred.
• 706/1 and 706/2 or NVQ level 2 and 3
• Minimum of 2 years experience as a chef de partie or experience of a similar supervisory position
• Skills and Knowledge
• Strong Communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
• Pro-active and reliable
• Computer skills required – Microsoft office, ability to use internal programmes required ordering stock, payroll, rotas
• Able to work alone and within a team
Education or Certification
• strong level of English-speaking and writing is essential
• Due to the nature of the Food & Beverage/Culinary department the employee must be able to work unsupervised.
• The role will also involve flexibility to work across all Food & Beverage departments within the hotel to meet the needs of the business
• High standard of personal appearance
• Excellent timekeeper & attendance record
• To carry out other duties across the hotel as assigned by management that may be required to ensure the Hotel Operation is properly maintained in line with budget and to provide total guest satisfaction.
• Maintain social distancing throughout the hotel, as per the guidelines from the government, wherever possible from colleagues and guests (distancing regulations will be in accordance with any government guidance).
• Wear all provided PPE as instructed / required.
• Wash hands frequently or after each task following proper handwashing techniques. Sanitize hands on a regular basis during shifts
• Complies with Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures.