The Narrow Boat is a very busy pub/dining business with an open kitchen situated on The Regent’s canal in Islington. Our menu is modern British with an emphasis on amazing seasonal ingredients. We are currently looking for an experienced Head Chef to manage our busy kitchen. Previous experience in a similar role is essential. This is a position for someone who is passionate about managing people and getting the very best from their team who really loves to create mouth watering dishes from fresh, seasonal ingredients. We like to change our menu every day to give our customers something really special to talk about!
About the role
You will be responsible for all aspects of kitchen management, this includes the following skills:
- Planning & creating fresh, seasonal dishes for a menu that changes daily.
- Accurate costing & recording of all dishes including HACCP information.
- Staff scheduling
- Recruitment, training & development of your kitchen team in order for everyone within it to fulfil their potential.
- Excellent knowledge of Health & Safety, due diligence & controls.
- A detailed understanding of margins & profit. Maintaining a food margin of 73-74% which must be delivered on a weekly basis.
- Good PC skills as all food ordering & invoice entry is internet based.
- Take control of food costs, portion control & wastage to ensure maximum profitability.
- You must be a strong team leader who regularly communicates in an effective manner.
- Maintaining excellent standards of cleanliness, date labelling & stock rotation.
- Ensure completion of all relevant kitchen paperwork.
- The ability to create exciting food under pressure in a busy kitchen and ensure that every dish is perfect.
- Create positive working relationships with the front of house team to guarantee smooth service.
- Be an integral part of the management team & submit your own ideas for development of the business.
Our offer – what will we give in return?
- 28 days holiday per year.
- 20% discount in all Young’s pubs.
- Uniform & meals will be provided when on duty.
- 5 day working week.
- Bonus scheme available based on health & safety audit scores but will be discussed at interview.
- The opportunity to showcase your creativity through a menu that changes daily.
- The chance to be actively involved with the development & progression of your own team.
Salary: £30,000-£35,000 (depending on experience for the right candidate)
To apply please email your CV & covering letter to Lisa Rogers: firstname.lastname@example.org